Gastroesophageal Reflux (GER) - Gastroesophageal reflux (GER) occurs when stomach contents reflux, or back up, into the esophagus during or after a meal. The esophagus is the tube that connects the mouth to the stomach. A ring of muscle at the bottom of the esophagus opens and closes to allow food to enter the stomach. This ring of muscle is called the lower esophageal sphincter (LES). The LES normally opens to release gas after meals. With infants, when the LES opens, stomach contents often reflux into the esophagus and out the mouth, resulting in regurgitation, or spitting up, and vomiting. GER can also occur when babies cough, cry, or strain.
Hayes has it. Pretty bad. We suspected it because of his constant gagging and the fact that when he spits up, he does it with gusto. We're talking everything he just ate comes up. Since we keep him upright most of the time, the throwing up does not happen very often. But if you lay him down flat anytime after he has eaten, you are asking for it.
We took him in last week for an upper GI x-ray which confirmed that he does have a significant case of GER. The x-ray was no fun at all and he threw up all of the Barium that they had him drink. He now has medication for the GER and like I said, we are keeping him upright most of the time, especially during and after he eats, so hopefully we will be able to keep him comfortable until he grows out of it hopefully somewhere between 4 & 6 months. I'm also watching my diet to see if anything I'm eating is contributing to it. Dairy is out. I dream of cheesy pizza and milk in my cereal! At least I could still have a latte, as long as it is decaf and made with soy milk. Until today when Dr. Caldwell suggested that I also try eliminating soy to see if that helps the little guy out. Obviously he is trying to torture me. Oh my how I love you, Hayes!
And on to the MPB...
Male Pattern Baldness (MPB) - Male Pattern Baldness is a common form of hair loss in both male and female humans. Hair is lost in a well-defined pattern, beginning above both temples. Over time, the hairline recedes to form a characteristic "M" shape. Hair also thins at the crown of the head, often progressing to partial or complete baldness.
Hayes has it. Pretty bad. It began a few days ago and has progressed rather quickly. Robert suspects that cousin Abigail sped things along with her vigorous rubbing of Hayes's head during their recent visit. In any case, it's a good thing he's got such a flippin' adorable face, 'cuz the hairline ain't so stylish at the moment! :)
Obviously Hayes is not thrilled with this situation.
Poor thing... I've not seen a case this bad in a while. We can only hope it continues to progress quickly. Or maybe we should shave his head so he can have that 'hip' bald guy look?
5 comments:
Poor Hayes! Bald and pukey? You're right, good thing he's got such a cute face!
Poor Hayes! I know that Prevacid helped Emmy A LOT with her reflux...I hope the meds do the same for Hayes. Emmy did outgrow hers right around 4 months when we were able to stop the meds and give her cereal. No help on the baldness for you...he sure is cute though :)
This is not a funny post, not funny at all.
Poor little guy. I hope he is feeling better soon.
He still looks so handsome! I can't wait to hold him. Kiss his bald head for me.
Poor baby! And poor mama. We'll have a pizza and latte party for you when Hayes outgrows the GER.
Post a Comment