Tuesday, April 12, 2011

ski trip fun : skiing

Skiing. This was it. The year we put both kids on skis. Because if you are going to put one on, why not the other, right? My mom found a ski instructor that told her 2.5 years was a great age to start a kid on skis. He said that you should put them on a harness, let them get the feel of skis and moving down the mountain. Then next year, he'll just take off. Okay, says I... scared and skeptical mama. Even 4 seems a little young to me. But since I learned at 4, I couldn't argue with that. But 2.5?? Seriously?? Won't he be scared?




The answer is NO, in case you were wondering. Not an ounce of fear. Both of them were amazing to watch. Adeline wore the harness the first day, then she was on her own starting day 2. Hayes aimed downhill, went as fast as he could to the bottom, then quickly informed me that he wanted to go faster. I actually thought his little legs weren't quite strong enough to push out in order to turn because he would not even consider making a "pizza" or turning... he wanted to go as fast as possible straight down. Then he discovered the trails through the woods. And the other, faster lifts. He could turn on a dime as soon as he saw a trail through the trees or if he thought he could make it to one of the larger lifts. Sneaky little boy. He was begging... *begging* to be taken off the harness, but I just couldn't do it. We told him he had to be at least 3 to have the harness off. Which of course had him yelling "I AM THREE!!" constantly. Oh, and he discovered "jumping" on day 3 after watching people go over jumps from the lift. He started jumping (as much as possible with skis strapped to your 2.5 year old legs) as he skied down the runs. Hilarious. The jumping, coupled with the fact that every morning he woke up asking "I go skiing today?" had my mom thinking we'd be in serious trouble if we lived in Colorado. I agree. And I'm already a little terrified for next year when he actually is three. I really, really hope he forgets the bit about being off the harness at age three. I don't think my heart can take it.





Adeline did amazingly well also. She had been saying she "wasn't so sure about skiing" for the week leading up to the trip, so I wasn't really sure what to expect. But true to form and just exactly in my footsteps, she was smooth, in control, and moderately adventurous. Though it still made my heart race to follow her down the hill. It all feels too fast when your baby is sliding down a mountain with no strings attached. On day 2, we found a little (very bumpy) trail through the woods and she agreed to try it with me. I put her between my legs and we skied through, Addie giggling the whole way. I told Robert and my dad that I took her through that trail, so they took her through the next time they went up. I forgot to mention that I had her between my legs, holding her the entire way. This is a seriously narrow trail with lots of bumps. They let her go through on her own. (!?!?!?!?!) Oh be still my heart. But, she did fine and loved it. And did it again and again and again.





Eye, yei, yei. I shudder to think of next year as Hayes tackles the mountain without a harness, Adeline moves on to harder and harder runs. I'm not sure I can take it. We will probably have to put them in ski school just so I don't have to watch.



And oh, oh, oh how I wish I had videos to show you. I took my camera on the first day and on the day we went night skiing. On all the days in between (they got to ski 6 times, I think, in the 2 weeks we were there) I took videos with my iphone. Great videos. Hayes doing his "jumps", Adeline through the trees, etc. And on the last night of the trip I washed my iphone. I knew it was most likely dead, but tried to dry it out and took it to the apple store once we got home to see if they could recover the videos. But no. They are gone. I was so sad. I'm trying to remember that it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. But still... sad.

A few pics from our night skiing trip (because bokeh is so pretty... even when it's grainy at ISO 3200) :









1 comment:

Katie Eaton Photography said...

Sooooo fun!! Look at them both go!