Tuesday, November 23, 2010

a trip to west texas

We took a little trip to west Texas a few weeks ago. To a place called Redstone. It is rough, rugged, gorgeous, peaceful. Did I mention gorgeous? Seriously. It is the exact image that people think of when 'Texas' is mentioned.

Redstone is a ranch about 7 miles in one direction, 4 miles in the other direction (that may not be exactly precise, but just think huge) owned by a friend of Robert's. Every year, the same group of guys take a trip out there in the spring. A regular guyfest full of hiking, exploring, shooting, riding, rock throwing, boulder rolling and the occasional snake handing. The wives cross their fingers and send them off hoping they will return in one piece.

This year, they invited the wives and kids. Presumably so that they would have the wives there to cook and thus be spared the typical bologna sandwiches and frozen lasagnas. But nonetheless, we accepted their invitation and went out for an adventure.

It was such a lovely weekend. Great times with friends. Beautiful scenery all around us. Adventure around every corner. And good (really good) food.

I took so many pictures, but I am going to try *ahem* to control myself here.











{The nightly rock throwing contest}






{Gorgeous. I said that, right?}




{Hayes was in heaven. An endless supply of rocks, sticks and dirt plus a handful of ATVs to ride on. Heaven, I say.}




{Addie looking way too old during a hike to one of the many caves on the property}




{Boulder rolling}




{Coming back down from the cave}


{One of the adorable babies on the trip}


{Hayes was terrified of Dagny. She is about 3 inches tall.}


{The Fam}


{The whole group}



I'm so looking forward to this trip next year. We did let the boys win one round of Trivial Pursuit (out of three) so that they'd invite us back. And there will be one more baby next year!

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Tell me it's a Shelton baby! I was looking at June tonight and thinking she looked too big. If I had more patients I would have more. I think I will leave that up to you and Julie! ;)

sheltonfamily said...

Oh no... not us! At least I don't think so. :)

Katie Eaton Photography said...

Love. love. The pic of the four of you is super cute.

steph said...

Rock throwing and boulder rolling? I really thought you were joking at first. It looks fun and in a few years, Hayes will totally be all over those activities.