Monday, August 16, 2010

part two : sol vista and the holzworth homestead

Let me just say one thing before I get started. We did a lot while we were in Colorado. You will see a lot of pictures. I pretty much filled all of our time there with planned activities. Some people like that, some people don't. I can really go either way. I don't mind relaxing on the beach, but I grew up on vacations that go, go, go. The kind where you are fully exhausted by the time you head home. So, that's what we did this time... go, go, go. Linda lovingly referred to me as the vacation Nazi since I did all the scheduling. Vacations with Robert's family move a little slower. Not to worry, though. She was a good sport and totally able to keep up.

Summer in Colorado 2010 : Part Two (Sol Vista and the Holzworth Homestead)

About a mile away from my parents house there is a small ski resort called Sol Vista. It is a really cute and a great place to ski with beginners and kids because it's less crowded than nearby Winter Park and much easier to navigate. In the summer, Sol Vista has trails open for mountain biking and hiking that stretch all across the mountain. Since you ride the lift up and hike the trails down, it's a great warm-up hike, perfect for our first day in town.


















{Robert is shoving goldfish into Hayes's mouth here. They both think it's hilarious, obviously.}








{Much to Hayes's delight, there was a digger at the bottom of the trail. He could have stared at that thing all day. And it wasn't even moving.}

{More staring, this time at the bikers coming down the hill. I cannot tell you how many times he told us "They are riding bikes!"}



After the Sol Vista hike we headed into town for lunch, then the men went back to the house to nap (Hayes) and watch the World Cup final (my dad and Robert), and the women went into the Rocky Mountain National Forest to the Holzworth Homestead. The girls had so much fun doing a lot of nothing, really. There was a huge, beautiful meadow to run in, boulders to climb, rocks to throw, and at the end of the (very short) trail, you can tour the original homestead houses.


{This picture is so sweet it almost hurts.}






{Adeline and Gee-gee.}






{Like my crazy camera antics? Don't pretend you weren't fooled.}




{Addie should have been born in an era where bonnets were standard dress, don't you think?}

{They were naturals at roping. Really.}


... and this is only day one.

5 comments:

Texas Slowpoke said...

So cute, thanks for posting.

Totally agree, Addie looked way adorable in that bonnet!

I finally got the video of Abby posted if you want to see. :)

Texas Slowpoke said...

P.S. Next family vacation we rest... a lot! :)

Chelsey said...

Hey Paige,

This is Chelsey {I once asked you about your daughters peacock costume} :) this is kind of a funny question but I was wondering what kind of camera and lens do you use? Your photos are really good!! I know its kind of random but I would love to hear!

Thanks!
Chelsey
chels.wilson@hotmail.com
http://all-things-lovely-blog.blogspot.com/

sheltonfamily said...

Chelsey,

Thanks for the sweet compliment! I'm using a Nikon D40 with the standard 18-55mm kit lens. I do a little bit of editing with Lightroom, but it's nothing professional by any means. The D40 has been a great camera to learn on and now I'm saving my pennies so I can upgrade. :)

Earth Mama Sarah said...

GREAT pics, Paige! I can't believe how big the kids are getting... and that Hayes- what a heartbreaker!