
Okay, not really big frustration... but I am feeling a little stuck. Here's how our potty learning has gone so far...
week one : Promising.
week two : Beautiful.
week three : Regression. Big time.
And here we are... starting week four and I'm not exactly sure where to go from here. It appears that the potty has lost it's luster in Hayes's eyes. He has been having at least one accident and sometimes two every day for the past week. At first I thought that I just needed to put him on the potty more often. During our beautiful week two, if I put him on the potty, he'd go. Every time. Not so these days. Since the potty is so totally last week's big thing, he's over it. This week he'd rather turn the bathroom fan switch on and off. Then he pees in his pants ten minutes later.
Now I've got a kid that will pee on the potty 80% of the time. Not too bad for a 20 month old, but there's the other 20% of the time when you never know when he might pee in his pants. Not so great.
Oh, what to do? Here's what's running through my head :
-stop altogether.
-regular cloth training pants at home, disposable pull-up type pants when we are out of the house.
-cloth training pants all the time, but add in some sort of incentive to get him back on the potty (m&m's, stickers, hand stamps, etc).
Not sure what I'll do just yet. I've never been one to use incentives/rewards, but it's looking pretty attractive at the moment. We haven't given him candy yet, but he's crazy about his gummy bear vitamins. I'm quite sure I could get him to do just about anything if I introduce sugar into the mix.
Hmm....
5 comments:
My Mom had mentioned using cherrios. She said put them in the toilet and he can "aim" at them and then its a game. I really thought Jake would love that (I was trying to avoid the sugar reward thing too). I didn't factor in how much Jake likes to eat. So when I put the Cherrio in the toilet he freaked out! "Mommy, no, no, no..that is for your mouth!" I thought he was going to cry! lol
I didn't think he would care a thing about stickers. Shows you what I know. They worked like a charm!
No ideas what you should do -- but I LOVE the picture...hilarious considering the topic.
We resorted to M&Ms over here - just 1 every time he used the potty. Eventually (believe it or not) he stopped asking for one after going to the potty. Then when he did ask, I told him we were all out and needed to get more at the store. He's still going with that ;-).
I'm with Kristin. Eventually Henry didn't ask for a treat every time and once we ran out, we ran out.
Love the picture!
Not much help, I hated potty training so much last time I am planning to keep the youngest twins in diapers forever!!
I'm sure you will figure out the perfect answer. :)
Post a Comment