Sunday, January 25, 2009

potty update



I would almost venture to say that Adeline is completely 'potty trained' now. Except I would never say such a thing out loud because undoubtedly she would prove me wrong tomorrow. What I will say is that I feel confident that when we are at home, she will go to the bathroom whenever she needs to without any prompting from me. And when I do prompt her (before we leave the house, before nap, before bed) she is able to empty out whatever she's got in there. She can do everything start to finish without my help, though I do prefer when I'm there and able to help with the clean up. Let's just say that she does that part, well, like a two year old.

I will admit that we haven't been out much. Our trips out of the house have been short so far. Her ability to keep her pants dry during an extended outing is yet to be seen. I have confidence, though. She is really doing great!

If any of you are thinking of starting potty learning with your kidos, I'll tell you that it took a solid week for Adeline to become consistent. The first day was full of accidents, all day. Day two she had dramatic improvement. The rest of the week she just got better and better at listening to (and controlling) her body and had (maybe) one accident per day. At day 7, she had one accident, but that was the last one she has had. Obviously all kids will be different and the older they are, the quicker it will (probably) go. But I definitely think that any kid can learn at this age. The key for Adeline was that we went out of diapers completely (except for sleeping) so that there was no confusion and I (tried desperately to) stay calm and let her be in control.

4 comments:

Katie Eaton Photography said...

How did you do the night-time? Did you just go diaper free from the get-go? We still put Sabrina in diapers at night ... I'm skeered to leave her just in her undies. I'd say, three days out of seven she still wakes up wet.

sheltonfamily said...

Oh, no no no... we are still doing diapers during sleep. I am thinking of letting her try nap without a diaper because she goes before nap and generally has been waking up dry. I just want to give it a few more days of checking her diaper after she wakes up to make sure it's not a fluke. But nightime... I think she'll be in a diaper for a while. We put her to bed with a cup of water for heaven's sake. That's just not fair. :)

Alison Randall said...

Did Adeline start this with her own interest, or did you encourage it first? Just curious because Sagan still seems ages away from it. Doesn't care about losing the diaper, being a big boy, or anything. No complaints here since I just spent a lot on large size cloth diapers. Just thinking ahead to the future. :)
P.S. Congrats to you and Adeline on this!!

sheltonfamily said...

Alison,
No, I definitely wouldn't say that Adeline started this on her own. She was really excited about seeing Sabrina's panties, but that was about it. And definitely no on the "big girl" deal. We called the potty her "special" potty and the panties her "special" panties since she LOVES to pretend that she is a baby and I figured the "big girl" thing would backfire. She actually started calling her panties her "baby panties". Ha! Anyway, she wasn't really showing any interest apart from wanting to see Sabrina's panties, but we decided to try it out anyway.