Wednesday, August 20, 2008

what is wrong with my child?!?

I rarely write about sleep on the blog these days.  It's not that things are perfect.  They are faaaar from perfect.  But generally Adeline's sleep has been bearable for the past few months.  We have basically resolved ourselves to the thought that she will never be one of those kids that goes to sleep and stays asleep easily.  Bedtimes take a long time and she wakes up at least once most nights.  She is constantly changing.  Things that work well for one week are complete flops the next.  We have had precisely 2 one week long stints where she consistently went to sleep in her crib with no fussing.  The 'norm'... or closest she comes to having a 'norm'... is that we read a ton of books with classical music playing softly, then we rock for a while, sometimes she will get in her crib without fussing and we can leave the room then come check on her periodically when she calls out.  If she won't get in her crib without a fight then I continue to rock her until she either goes to the crib without a fuss or goes to sleep.  The whole process (from books to sleep) takes at least an hour.

Tonight things are terribly out of control.  I have seen it coming for a few days now.  She has been fighting the crib and fighting rocking.  She wants in the crib, she wants to rock, she wants her blanket, she doesn't want her blanket.  It's been so frustrating.  but it has not been completely out of control.  Until tonight.  

Tonight she had a really hard time settling down and could not make up her mind about what she wanted.  After almost an hour of books and rocking I had to leave the room for Robert to take over.  She was screaming, I was crying... we were both frustrated beyond measure.  If we were rocking, she was screaming, "Bed!!  Addie Bed!!"  Then if I put her in the bed she stood up immediately, freaking out, "Rock, Rock!!"  When I did get her to lay down in her crib (still screaming) she screamed, "Blanket!!  Two Blankets!!" and when I tried to put them on her she flailed her legs screaming, "No Blanket!"  What the heck?!  I tried talking to her, asking her what she wanted, did she want me to hold her?  rock her?  pat her back?  Nothing helped.  She was beyond reason, had no idea what she wanted.  She could not stop screaming and flailing around.  Robert took over and after more screaming she is finally quiet in there.  I'm not sure how he got her calmed down or if she finally just exhausted herself, but it *seems* like the torture is over for the time being.

This is certainly not the first meltdown she's had.  It's probably not even the roughest bedtime we've ever had.  But for some reason it was especially frustrating/disheartening/upsetting for me tonight.  I think it is because I'm not sure how in the world I can handle nights like this when I also have a newborn to take care of.  And it is always hard to handle when things have been somewhat under control for a while, then they suddenly spiral out of control and nothing you try does any good.  I know she will change again and it will get better, but it is hard to see a light at the end of the tunnel when you are neck deep in a bedtime nightmare.

Thank God for Robert.  He is a saint.  

8 comments:

Mindy said...

I know you will figure it out! Remember, Hayes is going to be a sleeper! I think that we will need our husbands to help more when we have the second one.

Thanks for posting this. Makes me feel normal for getting frustrated too. :)

Duke Family said...

Oh, Paige! While we definitely haven't been dealing with sleep issues as long as you guys have, I can completely understand now that I'm up at least once an hour with Parker. I just *know* Hayes will be an angel. Luckily we both have amazing husbands who are there to help and support us.

We send all our love and hopes for peaceful slumbers.

Katie Eaton Photography said...

I'm so sorry your night/s have been getting worse and worse. I wish there was a magical answer!

steph said...

I know it's little consolation when your child is screaming in your face, but remember that just 15 miles north of you there's a little boy doing the same exact thing. :) Our kiddos are so sweet and perfect in every other way that they have to give us SOMETHING to hang over their heads when they're older!

Allen Family said...

I'm sorry she is giving you a hard time. Hopefully it won't last long! Our 2nd kids have just GOT to be easy going good sleepers. It just wouldn't be right any other way!!! I've definitly had those thoughts on "how am I going to do this with two" when Emmy is fighting sleep, but I realize that it will all work out...it always does ;)

Earth Mama Sarah said...

Yes, you are a wonderful mother of one, and will be even more fantastic with two. Perhaps she senses how close the arrival of her baby brother is, and is getting out all of her bedtime battles now, so she can be an angel for mommy and daddy once baby Hayes is here. Ruby also goes back and forth a LOT with her sleeping habits, I understand the frustration big time! Even though we haven't seen you guys in a while, we would love to help out any way we can once Hayes arrives. We would love to have Addie over for a play date sometime! Good luck with everything!

Alison Randall said...

I'm starting to believe in polygamy, or at least living in a commune. That way us moms of bad sleepers could sometimes trade with moms of good sleepers. And there would just be more grownups around in general to take turns on bad nights like this. Anyone want in?

I'm so sorry you're having nights like that, and I completely relate. Sagan's sleep has been newborn-style again, getting worse the past couple of weeks. I've been up crying while he cries, too. It's so miserable.

I know you've got it worse than me because of the 2nd baby coming so soon, but I know it will work out. There's some sort of balance in nature that seems to happen in situations like this. And if all else fails, call on your friends to help out during the day. You know we're all eager to help any way we can!

Brandy said...

Awe Paige! You are such an amazingly strong mom. Hang in there. I would have probably drugged my baby to make them sleep (that's probably why I don't have kids yet :-). I just know God is working in some way.