Wednesday, July 2, 2008

the sleep fighter

Help me... I'm sleepy but I won't let myself fall asleep!


Any suggestions on how to get a girl to go to sleep???

Addie is sleeping through the night (more or less) now but she has an uncanny ability to keep herself awake for at least an hour (but sometimes two hours or more) in her crib before she finally gives it up and goes to sleep. We've tried earlier bedtimes, later bedtimes, rocking until she's almost asleep then putting her in her crib, no rocking at all, toys in the crib, no toys in the crib, me putting her down, Robert putting her down, staying in the room, leaving the room... you get the picture. We're out of ideas.

She has a regular, consistent bedtime routine that ends with lots of books, lights down low, soft music playing, plenty of time to get drowsy.  But as soon as she hits the crib, she's wired.  Even if we rock her to the point that her eyes are closing and she is almost asleep, she still gets wired as soon as we put her in the crib.  She's not upset... she's playing.  And talking.  And jumping.  And rolling around.  And trying to do somersaults.  Anything she can do to keep herself from falling asleep.  One day this week she played for 2 hours straight before I finally went in there and patted her bottom until she was asleep.  It only took about 30 seconds of patting at that point because she was 2 hours past her nap time and obviously exhausted.  But none-the-less, she was showing no signs of winding down before I went in there.  I swear she would have played until she physically could not keep her eyes open.

Not to point fingers or anything, but this is obviously my sister's fault.  According to my mom, Natalie was a champion sleep fighter at this age.  She would literally run in circles to keep herself awake.  Meanwhile I would actually ask my parents to please put me to bed if I felt tired (yes, I was an angel).  Not sure how those sleep fighting genes got crossed into my offspring.  I'd love to see a study done on it.  But... in the meantime, we are still faced with a sleep fighter every time nap or bedtime rolls around.

It seems like all of Addie's little friends that were "troubled" sleepers like she was started to go to sleep peacefully and relatively easily once they started sleeping through the night.  Somehow Addie missed the memo that those two things are supposed to go hand-in-hand.  

So... I'm now opening the floor for suggestions.  Let the healing (and sleeping) begin.

6 comments:

Allen Family said...

hmmm...I wonder if your parents are going along with that "I was an angel" comment! I seem to recall some not-so-angel moments :)

I got nothing for sleep advice. I still put Emmy down when she is completely asleep and can't put her in her crib...only in the twin bed!

Mindy said...

Not there yet, but I hope you figure it out so that when Jake trys that you can help me! :)

I have a good sleeper so far...but he is sick and getting up 2-5 times through the night. I'm going to my mom's house tonight so that she can help me....I think I might be getting sick too, or just need some sleep?!

Duke Family said...

Hum, I have no suggestions for Addie. But hopefully this means that baby boy will be colic free and sleep like an angel.

Lathan, Lauren, Logan, London said...

We use bourbon...works everytime!

steph said...

I have no advice... right now Henry is doing the same thing. Just playing in his crib despite the fact that he hasn't had a nap yet today.

Joey's convinced that Addie and Henry had a meeting yesterday when we were busy talking. :)

Katie Eaton Photography said...

I got it, I got it ... ABRACADABRA (I'm waving my wand)!! And, poof, she'll sleep tonight.

I love that photograph.