Saturday, September 29, 2007

miserable

Addie is sick for the first time. Oh, I remember thinking once she was sick, now I know that was just a warm up. This is the real deal... an ear infection coupled with a head cold like no other. We had a really rough night on Wednesday so I took her to the doctor on Thursday morning. We got the ear diagnosis, a prescription for antibiotics, and an update on her weight... 20 lbs 14 oz! She was basically still acting like the happy baby I know and love all day. Even yesterday she was only mildly fussy. Today we hit a wall. She could barely breathe through all the snot. I feel so bad for her!! It is really terrible to watch your helpless little one feeling so badly! To make matters worse, I tortured her with the nasal aspirator (*gasp*). It was horrible!! This may in fact be the first time she has used "mama" in context. It went something like this : suction, "WHAAAAAAAAAAAA, MAMA!", suction, "WHAAAAAAAAAAAAA, MAMA!"... etc. I've had to do it quite a few times and it breaks my heart! But then she can breathe long enough to nurse so she loves me again.

Sleeping has been a nightmare. I am sick as well so I am not sleeping well to begin with, but since Addie is so stopped up she can only sleep if I'm holding her upright, which is awesome. I've spent 2 nights (strangely she slept fine on Thursday night) propped up in a sitting position with her laying on my chest. Needless to say it's a little tough to sleep that way... even if I was feeling well. Tonight we were fianlly able to utilize the super cool Svan bouncer seat that she refused to sit in during her 4 month colic marathon. The recline is adjustable so she is propped up nicely for maximum drainage. She has been asleep for almost 3 hours in there which is completely unheard of for her! I'm serious... this is major. I had to go check to make sure she is still breathing. She is. That bouncer seat is my new best friend.

Robert has been taking care of us both me and Addie for now. He's such a great dad & husband. Hopefully we'll both be back in good shape before he goes to work on Monday. I'm a little concerned that after 2 days on antibiotics she was still feeling so badly today. We have an appointment to see the doctor again on Tuesday, but if she's not doing better tomorrow I'll bring her in on Monday instead. I'm hoping that her sleeping is a sign that she's on the road to recovery.

Sleep tight, Addie. We love you.

3 comments:

Baby Zaidan and Om Mama said...

Oh Paige I hope you guys are feeling better! I remember sleeping upright with him on my chest. Though you don't get much sleep as you're scared of rolling them off of you!

steph said...

We'll be thinking of you guys... let me know if you need anything!

Suki Lover Hollis said...

Hope you feel better soon, Addie! I just saw that your mom posted this message and did not realize how sick you were! I have been there, but our moms are really good about making us feel better!