The good news is, we have had some movement in the right direction! The bad news is... I'm still on the couch. Adeline has taken to having Daddy calm her pretty easily. The progress has gone like this :
night #1 : no daddy calming allowed, nursed at every waking, woke at least every 2 hours
night #2 : daddy calming allowed 50% of the time, nursed the other 50% of the time, woke at least every 2 hours
night #3 : only woke twice**!! nursed both times
**wakings only counted once she comes to bed with us (she starts the night in her crib where she wakes up every 45min or so until we bring her into our bed)
So we are definitely back to a manageable level with Adeline's sleep. I can handle two night wakings. Our theory is this... based on the fact that she slept really well when I was in Alabama (just she and I in the bed) and she is sleeping well now (with just she and Robert in the bed) we think that she's under the impression that bed capacity should be strictly enforced at 1.5 people. She likes to roll around and 'needs her space' so when both Robert and I are in bed she doesn't have enough room to do her necessary rolling and wakes herself up as she crashes into us. You would think that she would like it in her crib where she has lots of space, but nooooo! She will often stir at night and reach out to touch one of us. If she can't feel one of us there, she wakes up. If she can touch one of us, she will settle back into sleep without fully waking up.
Now, what to do with our findings? Obviously I would like to sleep in the same bed with my husband again at some point. But we would also like to get some sleep on a regular basis. Clearly the answer is a bigger bed. I am dreaming of a california king Tempur-Pedic mattress, but that is clearly not in our budget. That is why I'm setting up the 'Shelton Family Bed Fund' and accepting donations. I'm sure all the donations are tax deductible... I think we could be considered a charity case at this point!! :)
3 comments:
You need to send Addie to join the Guinn family bed for a couple of nights. Once back home she'd think she was in heaven with only a 3 bed situation! I just went in to check on my four sleepers (Daddy included!) and pretty much every occupant has at least one foot in their face!!!
Hi Paige! I think she just needs to get used to her own bed. Has she always slept with you? It usually takes Jackson a couple of nights to get used to his bed again after vacation. It might take Adeline a few nights to get used to her bed...but it's definitely worth it! :)
I would highly recommend the California King! There is plenty of room for me, Josh, Emmy, and more kiddos!
Post a Comment