Saturday, August 11, 2007

'father nursing'

Well, I knew it was a mistake when I wrote in Addie's "current stats" that she is sleeping a little better lately. Now I will have to correct it to say that she WAS sleeping a little better. She decided when we got back from Alabama to go back to her normal waking up every 1.5 hours or so. Only now she isn't just waking up... she also refuses to go back to sleep unless I nurse her. I can never quite remember exactly how many times I nurse her during the night since I am in a semi-awake fog, but I know it is close to a gazillion. Something has to give. Enter Robert & 'father nursing'. I know... the term sounds a bit ridiculous. It is a Dr. Seers term that basically means that he gets to do nighttime duty for a while. Since he can't exactly nurse, he has to 'father nurse'... pat, rock, shush, etc. to get her back to sleep. The idea is that she'll realize that Mommy isn't going to be at her beck and call all night and she'll simply give in and sleep through the night. Sounds simple enough. I'm sure our oh-so-compliant daughter will just give right in, right??? LOL!!

Oh my... I hear the first waking right now!! BTW... during this little experiment, I get to sleep on the couch so that Adeline and Daddy are really on their own. Hmmm... she seems to have settled pretty quickly. Could this actually work?!?

No comments: