Amazing. I cannot explain it in any other way.
A church in Burnet, TX (about an hour away from Austin) has created an amazing display of Bethlehem. I'm sort of at a loss as to how to explain it. I think they did a much better job than I would, so I'm re-posting their description here...
This Christmas, visit Bethlehem . . . in Burnet Texas . . . as the ancient city of Christ’s birth comes alive again. Feel the anticipation of Joseph and Mary approaching the gates, urgency quickening their steps.
Pick your way through transients, peddlers, the crippled, and aged in the town’s fringe. Experience the presence of animals as they affect all aspects of life in that time . . camels, donkeys, sheep, goats, chickens, and doves.
Explore the narrow streets to faint strains of ancient music and savor the smells of fresh goat butter, campfires, and hot bread. Then immerse yourself in the din of the marketplace; the revelers in the tavern, shouted insults to and from the Roman oppressors, merchants, craftspeople, taxpayers, and beggars all seeking money, or position, or revenge.
Search for the inn, only to find it full (as others did long ago). Then follow the trail to the cave where a road-weary couple has moved in with the animals, their place in God’s plan and secular history to be made secure on this night. For the child in their arms was the incarnation of God Himself, come to the world that all who would place their faith in Him might enjoy eternal fellowship in His presence.
It was truly amazing and so much fun for us and the kids. It was so detailed and authentic feeling. Everywhere you turned, there was something to see. A woman in the corner of an alley grinding wheat, a roman soldier pulling someone through the streets to the tax collector, little kids playing an ancient game with pegs and rocks, women spinning yarn from wool and dying it in a kettle over an open fire, candlemakers, blacksmiths, camels, donkeys, geese, chickens, oh I could go on. I highly recommend it. Totally worth the drive. Totally.

{Roman soldier}
{Window into a home}
{Dying wool (front) and spinning it into yarn on a spindle (woman in back)}
{Tax collector}
{Basket weaver}
{Jail}
{There was so much to see. We were there for two hours and the kids were engaged throughout every minute.}
{The priest talking with Addie, Hayes and Claire about rumors he has heard of a baby being born in the city who will be the messiah.}
{Geese being sold in the marketplace.}
{Doves for sale}
{Candlemaker}
{Carpenter}
{It was very hands on. When not dangerous, the kids were encouraged to touch, feel, hold, and taste.}
{Jesus}
2 comments:
So cool! We have a church that does a very similar thing but we got to drive and listen to a CD while they acted the whole thing out. Love the walking, that sounds like even more fun...as a bonus the actors wouldn't have noticed my squeaky breaks. :)
- Natalie
I've tried to explain the experience of this place... and you just can't... it's amazing, I agree... but your pictures do a fabulous job helping that explanation of "amazing".
Post a Comment