Thursday, November 10, 2011

Two wheeler


It happened within five minutes. She had been begging for weeks to take off her training wheels. Somehow, I just couldn't let myself believe that she was ready. It seems like such a big kid thing to do. Like, a five year old kind of thing to do. Oh yes, I'm still in a bit of denial about how quickly her birthday is approaching.

So finally I took off the training wheels. We practiced in the driveway for a minute and a half, then headed across the street to the school parking lot. Within maybe three minutes, she was riding by herself. Within fifteen minutes, she could start and stop by herself.






I have a little warning to any mommies out there about to teach their little ones... it was excruciating to let go. I knew she could do it, but I was terrified for her, and for me. Terrified that she would fall, terrified that I wouldn't be there to catch her. A metaphor for many moments in parenting, I guess. But oh, so fun to watch her ride like the wind and bask in her accomplishment.

No comments: