... early in the morning this precious, perfect little baby entered our world. He was the tiniest 9lbs 4oz I had ever seen. And I loved every ounce of him instantly. In fact, I had loved him already. Since long before I knew he existed. You just never know how that can be possible until you have a child.
Three years ago I could only wonder what type of boy this little baby would grow into. At three years old, I know what we see is only the tiniest glimpse into what an amazing person he is. We know already that he is silly, inquisitive, loving, determined, and strong. How grateful we are to be a part of his life and watch as he discovers more about who he is and where he wants to go. We love him so.
Last night after Hayes went to bed and we started putting up decorations and wrapping gifts, I had a conversation with Adeline about Hayes's special birthday. We have told many times about their amazing Granddad, with whom Hayes shares a birthday. It's hard though, for kids to remember a person whom they've never met. I talked to Adeline last night about how Hayes shares the same birthday with their Granddad (Robert's dad). About how she never met him, but he did meet her... rubbing my pregnant belly... feeling as she wiggled around, his first grandchild. How he was an amazing person and we so wished that he would have been able to hold her, but how grateful we were that he knew of her before he was gone. And again, about the joy and connection with him that we felt when Hayes was born (10 days late) on his Granddad's birthday. How meaningful it is to us that his birthday is shared with his incredible Granddad. I hope that one day Hayes will grasp the importance of this day as a celebration of his birth and of the connection we have to our family, even those who have passed away.
On this particular birthday I am without a camera. It will be returned before the big birthday party... but I was so sad when I realized that I left it in Houston last weekend when visiting my parents and sister. So... again... iPhone pictures are all that I have. They are terrible and blurry, but at least it's something. Our day was spent playing and bowling and watching a movie and eating pizza and devouring ice cream. All Hayes's choices. A lovely day. He's not really a big fan of the "Happy Birthday" song, but he finally let us sing to him just before bedtime. Sweet boy.
p.s. New blue digger jammies and a big boy blue digger bike... it just doesn't get any better than that. It's like they were made for him. He is one happy boy tonight.
3 comments:
I'm sorry, I just don't believe you. There is no way that sweet little baby is 3 years old. No Way. Where does the time go?
Happy Birthday, Hayes!
Happy Birthday Hayes!!
Love,
Aunt Natalie, Uncle Mike, & the Tousins
Three. Wow. And next time -- call me and come get my camera! We were gone all weekend and it just sat in my bag at home feeling all alone.
Post a Comment