Tuesday, October 6, 2009

call for decorating advice...

I am *this* close to finishing Hayes's room. Yes, it's a little sad that it has taken 12 months. And yes, it may take another 12 before I actually finish-finish. What can I say... I've never claimed to be on the ball over here. Sometimes check marks are hard to come by in this house.

So, I've come this far and now I'm stuck on a few minor things. I need advice. Help me please.

First off, here's the room...





<



Now, here's where I'm stuck...

#1 : the book storage...



I want to paint the black part a different color because the black just seems so harsh and doesn't really go with the rest of the room. But I cannot decide on a color. I have a hard time pairing colors with white and since the white part will stay white, I'm stuck. I'm leaning toward a really dark, deep teal color but I want some more suggestions before I commit.



#2 : The crib bumper...



I'm thinking about recovering it. The brown just seems sort of lame and boring. If I do recover it, I'm probably going to do it in the same fabric/trim combination I used on this blanket...



... but again, I'm open to different fabric suggestions as well. What do you think, recover it or leave it solid brown?

And lastly, #3 : curtains...

We already have the cellular shades in there, which are great. But I was thinking some white sheers would soften the whole room up a bit. I am thinking off white sheers draping all the way to the floor on a soft brass finish rod.





What do you think... curtains? No curtains? Thoughts on the brass rod?

7 comments:

steph said...

1. I love the idea of teal!
2. If you recover it, the orange would go well. Something with a neutral background and a little splash of color -- red, organge, or teal, would go well too. Or a darker grey?
3. I vote no curtains. :)

It looks great!

Melanie Flinn said...

1) I like teal too or I'd say red (reddish/orange) which would tie in a couple of the red accent pieces you have in the room ( the frame on the wall, basket, red in the art on the wall). I think the red would look nice if you kept the brown. 2) If you recover the brown to the orange fabric, I'd go with teal book case.
3) No curtains

I just love those birds. I know you showed me in person how you made them but I already forgot so don't ever get rid of that pattern. So cute.

Katie Eaton Photography said...

1. Depends on what color you do the bumper. My vote is to change the bumper to something more bright. Then, I'd use a softer color of that choice to paint the black.
2. See above.
3. I'm a fan of curtains ... it's what finishes a room, in my opinion ... but white and to the floor for a toddler ... not so sure. White ... think of Sabrina and Addie with dirty hands playing behind them while giggling. To the floor ... dust, little dirty feet ... just something to think about.

PS: Do we really need to do word verification on all of our comments? ;) You know you can take that off!

Lathan, Lauren, Logan, London said...

WOW - what an ADORABLE room to match an ADORABLE little boy!

Come do my house!!!!

Mindy said...

LOVE the idea of teal for the bookcase.

I'm with Katie on the curtains...I think they finish a room too. Love the idea of them going to the floor...I just ordered some for June's room and they will be to the floor also.

Earth Mama Sarah said...

I second the, "come do my house!" I can offer no advice, only positive encouragement that you are a bad a*#! It looks fabulous even without the modifications. Can you transmit that creative talent and energy my way?

Texas Slowpoke said...

Love it!!!

Won't even think of giving you a suggestion... you are 1000X times better at that stuff. :)

Can't wait to see the finished details.