We are knee deep in potty learning over here. Well, not literally... thank goodness! I'm not sure yet if it is going to stick or not, but we've been giving it a good 'ol Shelton try. I had wanted to do early potty learning at around 18 months old with Adeline, but when I found out that Hayes would be joining our family, that went right out the window. I didn't want to go through the whole process just to have her regress once baby brother was born. But, I've been re-visiting the idea lately. I was really torn... was it worth the trouble? Do I really want to have to take her into a public restroom to pee? But last week Adeline got super excited to see her friend Sabrina's (who is recently potty trained) panties and watch her potty. I decided to take advantage of the excitement and give it a try. We had not done any type of potty learning or preparation yet, so I knew it would take some time for her to catch on. We've had some ups and downs so far and I'm going to give it until Wednesday night (one week), then evaluate whether I want to keep going or not.
She's actually done really well so far, but I don't think we're ready to venture out of the house yet. We went out a few times this weekend and I think it really set her back. She did better again today, so we'll see how the next few days go.
If I've learned one thing through this process, it is that no matter when we do the potty learning, it will be frustrating for me. Not because of accidents, but because of our personality differences. Oh my, how she is like my sister. Do NOT try to tell her what to do! And if she thinks that you want her to do something, she actively tries not to do it. Everything has to be on her own terms. I was almost ready to give up on day two because she was so resistant to sitting on the potty, even when I could tell she needed to go. But on day three I decided to completely leave her alone about it and act like I didn't care if she sat on the potty or not. Wouldn't you know it... she suddenly decided the potty wasn't so bad and started going to the potty on her own. It completely goes against my nature to do it this way, but I'm biting my tongue and doing my best to keep a low profile.
I will just never understand why she resists any type of instruction. Natalie, can you help me out on that? Seriously... and we're still considering home schooling?!?
3 comments:
Go Addie Go! Seriously ... keep going, on the potty! ;)
Don't you just love God's sense of humor?
I'll tell you her secrets if you can tell me Abby's :)
Hey Paige-
We are starting to potty train, too. I am apprehensive, but hope to get it done in the next 5 months! Also, are y'all thinking of home schooling on your own, or joining a co-op? AND, one more thing, did you ever talk to your sis about the toddler entertainment bag thing? I'm still interested!
Good luck with the potty.
Post a Comment