Thursday, December 4, 2008

hayes at two months



Hayes is over two months old now and I can't believe it!  

I'll start with the standard update information.  First of all, he is still quite a big boy.  His stats at his two month appointment were: 

weight : 14 lbs 7 oz  (95th percentile)
height : 24.75 inches (95th percentile)
head circ. : 41.5 cm (80th percentile)

For reference, Adeline weighed 14 lbs 7 oz at her 4 month check up and was 24.5 inches at 6 months.  She was really short, but still!  He has been wearing 3-6 month clothes for weeks now and if it is a brand that runs small even the 3-6 month stuff is getting tight.  The onesie and jeans he has on in these pictures are 3-6 months.  He's also been in a size 2 diaper for weeks now.  He is just growing so quickly!




He's still sleeping pretty well.  He's had a rough patch over the past few nights which means he's been getting up twice at night instead of just once.  I would have killed for a "rough patch" like that with Adeline (who was up every 1.5 to 2 hours until she was over a year old)!  He naps well at home.  He usually takes 3 naps and at least one of them is nice and long... over 2 hours.  He does not sleep well when we are out.  He will, on occasion, fall asleep while we are in public, but it does not last more than about 30 minutes.  Generally, if there is stuff to see, he wants to see it.




So, with size and sleeping taken care of... here are some more tidbits about Hayes...
  • He is sooo easily amused.  He has the greatest smiles that take over his entire face and he's starting to laugh.  Right now it is more like a squeal, but it is definitely a laugh. 
  • He is constantly moving.  Note the blurry pictures.  If he is still, you can be 95% sure that he is asleep.
  • He is really strong.  He will launch himself out of your lap if you aren't careful and he can stand up supporting his own weight for a good while.
  • He generally only fusses if he is tired or hungry.
  • He (like Adeline) is NOT a snuggler.  That is, until he falls asleep in your arms.  If he falls asleep while being held, he burrows his head into your chest, completely covering his entire face.  Looks a little scary, but so far he has not suffocated. 
  • He looks ALOT like Adeline.  I will post some pictures soon of Adeline at this age.  I'm sure years from now I will have a tough time telling if a baby picture is Addie or Hayes.
  • Adeline does two impersonations of Hayes.  She tells us, "My baby Hayes." (meaning, "Watch!  I'm baby Hayes."  Then she will either blow spit bubbles or lay down on her back and kick her legs as fast as she can.  She's got him pegged.  :)
  • He has a great "concentration" face.  Lips pursed, brows furrowed.  Usually accompanied by flailing arms and kicking legs.


In general, he's such an easier baby than Adeline was.  (Addie, we love you, but you were a really tough baby!)  People ask me all the time if I think he is just an easier baby by nature or if I have parented him differently and that helped him develop a more laid back personality.  I'm sure it is a little of both.  I certainly feel more equipped this time around, so I'm sure that has made an impact on him.  Poor Addie had to put up with me in my rookie days.  I guess that is the duty of the first child... to teach us how to parent.  

No comments: