Thursday, March 6, 2008

tubes

This is a long overdue post about Adeline's ears.  In my defense Adeline has been a monster lately (found out why yesterday) and I've been trying to force my pregnant self to take naps with her so that I have energy to play with her while she's awake.  Hence I have had very limited time on the computer and no time to write about her ear situation.

It all began many months and 4 ear infections ago.  The first infection was in October.  In November there was fluid and a "borderline" infection that isn't included in the tally.  The second was in January which cleared up after antibiotics, but fluid remained.  The third was two weeks later which also cleared up but fluid remained.  And the fourth was 2 weeks after that which never cleared up... even after 2 rounds of antibiotics.

At diagnosis #4, our pediatrician sent us to the pediatric ENT specialists.  He assured me that he was really good and wasn't "tube happy", putting tubes in every kid's ears that walked through the door.  I was really, really hoping we could kick this thing without tubes.  I think somewhere deep down I knew we were headed for tubes, though.  After all, she had had fluid in her ears since at least January, probably since November!  

We saw the ENT 2 weeks ago.  The ear infection was still there (halfway through the second round of antibiotics to try to clear it up) and there was still lots of fluid.  The doctor said we could maybe get by with waiting on the tubes as long as there was no damage to her hearing.  They tested Addie's hearing and she had some minor hearing damage (hearing down to 20 decibels is considered normal, but she could only hear down to 30 decibels).  The good news was that the damage was probably due to the fact that her eardrums couldn't vibrate properly since they were so stuffed with fluid.  Once the fluid is gone, her hearing should be fine.  Tubes were recommended.

Fast forward two weeks to yesterday.  We headed to the surgery center at 6:45am.  The morning was brutal since Adeline could not eat, drink, or nurse after midnight and she desperately wanted "milk".  Lots of screaming and signing "milk, milk, milk!!!"  Once we actually got to the surgery center things went much better.  Adeline was wonderful.  I cried when the anesthesiologist told us how they were going to take Addie downstairs, hold her in their lap and give her a mask to breathe into until she went to sleep.  I was sure she was going to be screaming and terrified when they took her.  The anesthesiologist said that she could give Addie a Valium, but that she'd rather not because it lasts way longer than the procedure and in general would prefer to give her the least amount of drugs needed.  Then she offered me a Valium.  If I though she was serious I definitely would have taken her up on that offer.  I needed it!  

Then the moment I was dreading... the nurse came to take Adeline.  She didn't even flinch when I handed her off.  She didn't even look back.  She was pointing out the stickers at the nurse's desk as they walked off.  I felt soo much better.

15 minutes later the doctor was back telling us that everything went well.  She still had the ear infection in her right ear (it had been there for a MONTH!) and fluid in her left ear, which is why she's been such a monster over the past few weeks.  Especially after hearing that I knew we did the right thing.  I really, really hope that this helps her to feel more comfortable!!

Addie came back to us about 10 minutes later, sleepy, but happy and content.  She never fussed as she was waking up.  They monitored her for 20 minutes or so and we were released.  Apart from being pretty hungry, she was really in a great mood.  She immediately started playing when we got home and throughout the morning I could tell she was feeling much better.  The monster was gone and I had my baby girl back!

Truth be told, ever since we found out that Addie was going to get tubes, I have been secretly (and not-so-secretly) hoping that the tubes will help her feel so much better that she will start sleeping through the night.  Well, my friends, that has not happened yet.  Not even a hint that better sleeping is on the way.  Her nap was less than stellar yesterday and her night was mediocre at best.  Robert reminded me that there is still hope since technically she still has an ear infection.  So true.  Until that clears up completely, I'm still holding out hope for a full nights rest!

5 comments:

Jenny said...

Oh goodness... I am so sorry you all went through that and so happy Addie handled it so well. I remember when Ollie got his MRI at six weeks and I couldn't feed him, he was crazy upset and it was really rough on me. I hope the tubes do their magic and you all get some rest and sleep soon.

Mindy said...

I'm so glad that Addie did so well. I hope she is feeling better soon. We will be in town next weekend and would love to see you all. Kiss Addie for us.

Allen Family said...

I'm so glad it went well for you. I was tearing up just thinking about what you went through handing your baby off to the nurse :( I can't even hand mine off to the nursery at church!!!

Earth Mama Sarah said...

Poor Adeline! Hope she is feeling better soon... we're definitely with you, though, on the monster babies and no sleeping. Over here the trouble is teething. It never stops. Ruby almost has all her teeth! I'm hoping I'll get a full night's rest once this stage is over! But now that Addie's feeling better you'll have to send her over to play with Ruby so you can rest....

Earth Mama Sarah said...

Poor Adeline! Hope she is feeling better soon... we're definitely with you, though, on the monster babies and no sleeping. Over here the trouble is teething. It never stops. Ruby almost has all her teeth! I'm hoping I'll get a full night's rest once this stage is over! But now that Addie's feeling better you'll have to send her over to play with Ruby so you can rest....